Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stifled

I finished my 'Song of the week' last week, so in a lot of ways I was ahead of the game. For the the words, I decided to be inspired by my favorite show: 'Lost.' The idea is that if Lost was a movie, this song could be on the soundtrack.

So, I sit down to record my song and half way through it my 'A' string breaks. Drat.

Yesterday at lunch I get my guitar re-strung, now flash forward to last night after Lost. I pull out the guitar, go to sing, and... my voice is cracking and I am slowly losing it. I had been coughing all day, and by the end of the night I could barely talk, much less sing.

Because of breaking guitar strings and faulty vocal chords, my song will have to be words only this week. I will try to get the recorded version very soon.

First Star on the Right

Verse
Time and the space in between.
My eyes and what I've never seen.
A cold conclusion it seems:
To wait.

Home is such a long way away,
Years or even miles into space.
Your hand is a warmth on my face;
It can stay.

Chorus
Carry me,
Take me back home.
First star on the right
And strait on 'till dawn.
Carry me,
Take me back.

Verse
It's odd, it seems out of place.
The stars, the moon, and its face
Appear and in an instant erased
By the clouds

Holes for what use to be eyes.
Bright and inadmissible light.
Confused by the language of lies,
I survive.

Chorus
Carry me,
Take me back home.
First star on the right
And strait on 'till dawn.
Carry me,
Take me back.

Bridge
There's bound to be something I've missed.
Didn't think it would come to this.
There's no way to leave it as-is.

Outro
Carry me,
Take me back.
Carry me, we
Have to go back.
Carry me home.

2 comments:

  1. I like these words; it makes one long for the simplicity of home, which I'm assuming is what you were trying to transgress. Looking forward to hearing the song form of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lyrics. I can imagine "home" as so many different things that imply a place of comfort--whether with an old friend, family, whatever. Can't wait to hear the music!

    ReplyDelete