Monday, December 15, 2008

Monday's Mutterings of One

"I like Bush (the band) but I also like lyrics. So we will call it a conflict of interest."

For those of you who both remember and appreciate there was a period of time in rock music (most of the 90's) where lyrics simply did not matter. Perhaps this was spurred in part by Nirvana's abstract, gritty, and metaphoric lyrics; or maybe in part from the fact that no matter how hard you tried you couldn't hear a word of Eddie Vedder's (Pearl Jam) lyrics. Whatever the reason, lyrics flew out the window.

Great bands like Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and Radiohead put their focus on the music and the mood, and thus began the battle for the most ridiculous lines. One of my favorite bands from that time were one of the best at ludicrous lyrics, Bush. Here is an example from Razorblade Suitcase (that was the name of one of their albums).

These are excerpts from 'Strait No Chaser'

...Abscess memory with broken fingers
All the fallen down angels, Raw pain distress

...Climb inside you away from strangers
Building a system of alleys and motorways

...Keep on driving, hair left morning wet
There's nothing like losing you

Now keep in mind I love this song, but how can one relate to this? "Hair left morning wet?" So me and my friends had a little fun this weekend talking about this and we started a competition to write a Bush song. I'll leave you with the best lines we came up with.

Spider transexual, spaghetti fingers.
A bold-faced pony tail, cryogenics.
Comotose aliens, your hand in my brain.
Armodilla mustache, a must-have turtle neck.

Swordfish bed pan, paper mache.
Tera forma tundra, woodgrain heart attack.
Jerry-curl window pane, sun shines your eyes.
Peppermint trash can, for staking my money on.


It is really fun, you guys should try it!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, first of all, I'm pretty good with words, however, I don't believe I'm witty enough to come up with such diverse and strange lyrics. LOL! You did a really good job of reincarnating them, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting and different, but I have to say the lines that you guys used caught my attention. Made me think of a line I heard on a movie "eat your brain and gain your knowledge" very good guys:)

    ReplyDelete