Friday, January 16, 2009

Poetic Friday: "Three Times Twice"

This may be the last installment of Poetic Friday. I've had fun writing these poems, but I need to focus some more energy on the music, and just insert more poetry into my lyrics. I may come back in 6 months and do this again, but for now I'm done. Interesting tidbit about this last poem, I hear it in my head as a rap. Enjoy.

Three Times Twice


things with broken wings can't fly
you're wrapping string
with hurried hands
around threading spools
and why

we're as calm as bombs
we're as cold as hell
we're the crater, the ash,
but not the crash itself
we're the definition
of undefined
the center, the seed,
but never the rind

you brought thoughts without grounds
and words without sounds
surrounding like an army
or a funneling cloud
as I'm tunneling down
in the absence I'm lost
is this price of love:
three times twice the cost

my tenure at stake
an investment in pain
like a whipping crack snapping
the air pummeled in space
leaving all but your face
saving all but your grace
a bittersweet I can't taste
but rather remembered in haste

candle lights compete for light
dancing shadows behind
and for me and my comfort
they stand at a distance in time
as a checker boarded line
stretches out in my mind
the knight and the bishop
and the queen all decline

to finish, to start, to pause, and adjust
to be still of mind: one moment's request
to be more of yourself
requires less of your best

No comments:

Post a Comment