Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday's Mutterings of One: Music vs. Words

What gets your attention more, the music of a song or the words?

I have always advocated that the most important part of a song is it's catchy-ness. Does it get stuck in your head? Take songs like the Macarina which has words most of us can't understand, yet that silly song gets stuck in your head (against your will).

Having said that, there are phrases that really leave impressions on us. They invoke emotions, or make us recall memories. "The way that light attaches to a girl" -Counting Crowes, Long December.

This quote comes from the film "Music and Lyrics," and I really like the way Sophie Fisher (played by Drew Barrymore) puts it here:
"A melody is like seeing someone for the first time. The physical attraction. Sex... But then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics. Their story. Who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magical."
I couldn't agree more with this idea that the music is the physical attributes, and the lyrics are the personality.

2 comments:

  1. I like this thought, and I thoroughly agree with Drew's character's statement; I love that movie too, and am glad someone is giving it credit where it's due. I felt it was highly underappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, now I have the Macarina song stuck in my head! "Stay Golden Pony Boy"

    ReplyDelete