Thursday, January 22, 2009

Julia: More on the Meaning

This was a very interesting song for me to write, and I'm on the fence about it really. But here is how it went down. I wrote the intro and the CODA this summer, sitting outside at the park waiting to meet a friend. I didn't really have a good place to put the few parts I liked and then this Monday I was writing a new song and the themes seemed similar so I attempted to mesh the two songs. However, I am not fully convinced that it worked.

As for the lyrics, pretty typical Chase stuff. I envision a childhood friend who you have a crush on but never tell. Then you both grow up and she gets married, and then one day you see her and miss her and play the 'what if' game. However, instead of being downtrodden about this, the song very simply states at the very end, "Wait for me next time."

The song is not indicative of any one person in my life, but rather the memories and feelings of several made into a cohesive, figurative person: Julia.

I will rate this song myself, so that tomorrow you will be able to tell me how you really feel. One a scale of one-ten (ten being the best song I could write) this is about a 3.5 for me. I feel like there are some good things about this song, but I feel like I can write a much better song than this. I am glad however, to complete my goal to write and video cast a new song this week, I feel good in accomplishing that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment