Friday, April 11, 2008

Writing songs while driving

I am beginning to write more and more songs while running errands. With my two youngins, I hardly have to time to think, much less think creatively. Practically the only time I get to myself during the day (besides once my girls go to sleep) is while picking up dinner, or dropping off movies.

Luckily my brain has realized this lack of time. And I have now trained myself to write complicated three verse, chorus, and bridges all in a 30 min round trip. I have to immediately get to Google documents when I get home, else it will be lost and gone forever.

Click here to see the words I wrote last night while driving. For now I am calling this song "Far from True." It needed massaging, but every word was produced on the move (Hollywood video to Ruby Tuesday.)

I am currently, only writing a general melody and words. I am not actually plotting out all of the chord changes. That is a bit longer and a more complicated process. My next goal is to actually hear and identify chords and notes in my head, that way I don't even need a guitar (in case I am somewhere I can't access one).

Stephen Hawking has to rely on his brain to run very complicated formulas and equations, checking and rechecking them in his mind! Because of his condition its not exactly like he can just hop on up to the blackboard and work them out with chalk. This is proof of how truly amazing our brains are.

No comments:

Post a Comment