Friday, April 4, 2008

No longer a misnomer

So this is my formal blog mission plan: This blog is to serve as an outlet for my songwriting, an insight for myself and others. Of course with all of this real estate, it will not be strictly about songwriting. There will be info about my band (Asher) as it evolves; adventures in fatherhood, I have two beautiful little girls; and any other creative endeavors I might weasel my way into, i.e. the cartoon that I draw.

Blog title Explanation:

Seeing how the majority of this blog will focus around my songwriting, inspirations, etc. I decided to name the blog after one of the first songs I had ever wrote…written…whatever.

Similar to this blog, I had trouble naming the song ‘Scribbled on Cardboard.’ The song was a typical high school ballad about an ex-girlfriend and wanting her back. There were traces of creativity in lines like: ‘I want to awake twisted and tangled with you in my arms; the way that it used to be.’ Upon finishing the song however, I realized there was no clever hook or line from which to title this love-sick teen ballad. It occurred to me that the tangible part of the song (what it was written on, how it looked) was pretty unique looking, so I pondered naming it after that.

When the words for the song came to me, I grabbed the closest documenting tools I could find: a sharpie and a manila folder. My hand writing is sloppy as all-get-out, so the song looked like some ramblings of a mad man. I considered ‘Scribbled on Manila,’ but then settled on the close cousin - ‘Cardboard.’

So now with this new blog header, the title for an old song takes a new and more appropriate role.

No comments:

Post a Comment