Monday, June 23, 2008

Kids Say the Darnest Things

I took my younglins (that's what I lovingly call my two daughters) to the RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival in Bell Buckle, TN ( I am not making this up, this event and place are both totally real) and we had a really good time. We trudged in the heat through scores of locals, checking out the food and vendors set up on booths all across this tiny town, and all of this was worth it for this one moment. Here goes:

We are walking (from left to right) Hannah holding my hand, Me, and then Ava holding my other hand on the other side. A group of bikers (motorcycle riders with do-rags and leather vests) are walking to the left us, that would put them right next to Hannah. Hannah continues to look at them (I am noticing out of the corner of my eye) and it is clear that she is deeply thinking about something. Finally she very politely, and loud enough to hear, says, "Excuse me, are you a pirate?" She says this to the biker next to her and it takes a moment for the question to sink in. He and I both chuckle a bit, he answers her with, "Sort of."

Embarrassed a little at first, but later I thought to myself, "You know what, he did look like a pirate." He had three rings pierced in both ears, tattoos showing on his right shoulder, a black bandanna on his head, and black boots at the bottom of a black leather outfit. So when it was all said and done I commend Hannah for having the ability to make such good observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment