Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Giver

On the surface this song may appear to have religious implications, but the message is a little broader than just one particular belief. The overall premise (and George would get mad at me for revealing so much about the song before you see the words) is that no matter what you believe, it is good to be here and to be presented with so many second chances. There are also themes of 'We don't always know what is best for us", and the old adage, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

By the way... I may have invented a new adjective. See if you can find it.

The Giver

Verse
All of this noise inside of my head,
I can barely hear you say, "Come back to bed."
Somewhere I know there's a light that's left on,
But when I turn to look away the light is gone.

Radio waves flying out into space,
Sometimes I think I'd like to take their place.
And find myself on an asteroid belt;
Watch them all explode without a sound.

Chorus
And the crowd that built me up,
Is the same that spilled my cup.
And the knife that split my vein,
Is the same that spared my pain.

The giver of life and love is just;
I've got another chance to go for bust.

Verse
Somewhere in dream in a desertous land,
As a wad of cotton sheets are in my hands.
Fear I can't breath as I look at the sky,
And the miles of sand between you and I.

As I awake the feeling remains,
That I'm a world apart from who I really am.
And the me that's here now fails to believe
That the gift I have might some how come from me.

Chorus
And the crown above my head,
Is the same that spells my dread.
And the chain around my feet,
Is the same that sets me free.

The giver of life and love is just;
I've got another chance to go for bust.

Outro
Mark a place for new beginnings,
You are more than just your sinning,
There's more to love than just your lust,
The giver of life and love is just.

They don't see, they don't know.
They don't know how far you'd go.
Infinity times the lack of trust.
The giver of life and love is just.

No comments:

Post a Comment