Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Inspiration

A recent Commenter asked me a very profound question:
"What inspires your songs?"

It is profound because as much as I enjoy writing, as much as I commit to the process, the answer to this question did not come immediately. Questions like "Why do you work?", or "Why do you eat?" have a simpler, more conclusive answer. I thank the anonymous commenter for making me do some serious introspection.

My Process: I will attempt to answer the above question below.

Music First

Regardless of whether or not I have an instrument handy, the music is always written first. Even though now most of my songs are written in the car (driving from point A to B) I still need a melody and a rhythm if I am to write and then remember the song later. After an initial chord progression intrigues me, or a snappy riff, I let the words fall where they may.

Stream of Consciousness

Sometimes I can base an entire song off the very first line. And sometimes that first line may be complete nonsense, or a non-meaning if you will. Other times it has to develop after a while. The important thing is to find a catchy melody. That melody can only hold so many syllables, now I have to find words and phrases that can fit in that space. And at first I am not picky.

Example: For "Two Hearts" The entire song was based off of these
first words:

"A cigarette case and a well pressed suit."

It wasn't until later that the song evolved, had a plot, touched on human emotion and commonality. But I don't let any of my own creative inhibitions stop me when starting a song. I let my subconscious dig deep. "What is the music telling me? Where is this story taking me?"

Confidence

A lot of it is about trust. Trusting yourself, trusting your words. Not going "Oh, this is stupid." I let it play out. Sometimes the hook to my song is actually found ten lines into the song. Once I find it, I rewrite the other "generic" words to suit my new, better theme. Such was the case with "The Giver." After finding this line:

"The giver of life and love is just, I've got another chance to go
for bust."

I went back and re-wrote the song to fit the mood. The concept of that particular song hovers close to the old saying "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Patience

I also don't rush anything. I try to let everything come to me. I want the words and the chords to appear like they were meant to be together. As we speak I am writing 4 different songs in my head. I have a good chorus on one, two with a nice verse or two, and one fully assembled but awaiting a bridge. Each will come in their own time.

People Person

I accept and love people despite their faults. This is important because so much of my work is not personal experience. I use other people's lives as a catalyst for my stories. But I have to connect to them, I have to truly commit to who they are, or how they feel. And sometimes that means I am absolutely nothing like them. But I have to find a way to love them, love their story, create the art.

Phrase Finding

The other thing I do is I keep my eyes and ears open. I document phrases I find interesting 'Pouring salt on the wound', 'The elephant in the room', etc. I have a special file in my head that keep these phrases, you never know when they will work perfectly. Especially if you modify them a bit.

Example: Chorus from "Pour the Salt"

Pour the salt on

Pour the salt on

I've got another wound

There's nothing to hide from

Its clear that I can see

The elephant in the room

That song is about seeing an ex with another person after a break-up. The entire story was based on two phrases.

The Images and the Ordinary

I keep my mind on imagery. I look at things, mundane every day things, and I describe them to myself poetically: the way that rain distorts images as it pours on glass windows.

I describe the way simple things feel: Morning dew on bare feet, A course rope as it violentlyslips out of your hands. I do this because so much of who we are and what we feel is everyday,and ordinary, but we feel them in extraordinary ways.

Editing

Lastly I refine everything. I edit. I put the criticism I would use towards anybody else's art and apply to my own.

Overview

So that is a long answer, here is the shorter: If my inspiration was a flow chart it would go as follows:

The drive to be an artist, the want to create>>

Finding the Music>>

Finding the words (chosen at a subconscious level)>>

A story/theme derived from life experience (or other people's life
experiences)>>

Imagery, mood, word choice (chosen based on, and to enhance, the
story/theme)>>

Editing (based on practice, experience, and constructive criticism)[]

That's all I can think for now. I hope that was a sufficient answer. Because I do love my small little crowd of readers, and I do appreciate you spending the time to read and listen to my songs.



No comments:

Post a Comment