Monday, July 21, 2008

The Little Girls Who Cried "Bug"

Both of my girls are terrified of bugs for some reason. I have had to pull over on the side of the road in order to let a fly out of the car, after the mass hysteria became to much of a distraction to my safe driving. So, I have tried to be a better leader for the girls by getting them to calm down when a bug is in our vicinity.

Again I am driving, and again the back seat of my car erupts in fear and screaming about a bug. I picture another 'fly' scenario and without even taking my eyes off of the road I keep driving saying insistently, "Calm down girls, it's not going to hurt you." There was some resistance at first, but eventually they both did calm down. I think to myself, "Whew... crisis averted."

A moment later I turn around to say something to Hannah, and when I do I am startled by what I see. Crawling across her belly is some sort of beetle. It is black and green and about the size of a half dollar. Hannah is sucking her thumb and looking down at the bug with an expression that says, "I don't like this, but Daddy said calm down."

I then - half laughing, half afraid myself - quickly find a napkin to grab the large bug with in order to throw it out the window. As I am chuckling to myself I can't help but think of the little boy that cried wolf.

The expression on Hannah's face as the bug crawled closer and closer to her head, is one that will forever be seared into my memories. Its the little things, really it is.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can just imagine the look on her face...how funny! You know Ava would've freaked out beyond belief if that beetle were on her!

    ReplyDelete