Thursday, November 20, 2008

For the Farmer's Daughter

I've accepted who I am as an artist. I am the guy who writes the really sad, slow song. I'm okay with that, somebody has to. It's better to know who you are, than to try to be something that you are not. This song is about being on the cusp of something really good, but being unable to tilt the scales in your favor. At least that was my motivation. Songs have a way of writing themselves.

For the Farmer's Daughter

Verse
And I know what
The song has been talking about;
It's not just words after all.

And I know why
You stand at a distance,
And refuse to surrender your wall.

Prechorus
How did we get here,
And who has the reins?
And if you could
Would there be anything you'd change?

Chorus
Tell me a story;
Write our lives together.
I'll sit by your side
And pit sorrow against sadness,
Love against madness,
And hope against fear.
All the dreams that you write me
Just might incite me,
But will most likely
Just
Disappear.

Verse
And I know how,
Its not really a mystery,
That it grew from nothing at all.

And I know now
What I wish I'd known then,
Its only now that I have the chance to fall.

Prechorus
How did we get here,
And who has the keys?
And if you would,
Remove the weakness in me.

Chorus
Tell me a story,
Line by line our fiction.
And I'll sit at your lap
And pit faith against indifference,
Lust against forgiveness,
Change against you my dear.
All the dreams that you write me
Just might incite me,
But will most likely
Just
Disappear.

Outro
So for the farmer's daughter,
For the dreams without pretense,
For the wish in a well that's run dry.

For the passion to run through our veins,
We lack more than just change.
Tell me more of the same, and I'll try.

We carry ourselves on our own shoulders,
And weigh as much as boulders,
And wait as we wish it was here:

The chance for us to fall down,
And the walls that we have built around
Ourselves
Just
Disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment