Thursday, August 28, 2008

At the Hall of Fame Lounge



Jimmy was nice enough to join me (at the last minute) to go play some songs at the Hall of Fame Lounge in Nashville. I have been missing playing in front of people, and until I can get the full band practicing and in routine I think I will continue to hone my song writing and performing skills at writer's nights, coffee shops, etc.

We showed up early enough to catch two rounds of performers. And it took a while before I realized what the format was. It goes like this:

You have three chairs, three mics, and three inputs on the stage. Three different song writers take a seat. The writer to the left goes first, then the guy in the middle, then the guy on the end. You repeat this process three times. Each of you have a guitar, and are welcome to play along with the other performer's songs.

So when we went up I sat Jimmy to the left of me, and he played cello. He would play around a little when the other guys were playing, but not I of course. And one of the guys played along with Jimmy and I when we did our songs. It was very interesting.



All of the music that was performed besides our own could be considered country on some level, alt. country, country blues, or just blues. And Jimmy and I were easily the youngest people there. So given our attire, age, and set-up (cello and guitar) I think we had them all curious as to what we would come out with. And I believe (to put in Murphy Small's words, the first performer in our round) they were pleasantly surprised.

All of the musicians there were great song writers and excellent guitar players, it was Nashville is all about.

Thanks to Ty Brando for giving me the opportunity to play, and for taking these nice photos.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to play at Hall of Fame! Your pictures look great :)

    ReplyDelete